Sign Up for Issue Updates
Serving Missouri’s seniors
Protecting Medicare for current beneficiaries and future generations
Claire has vowed to protect Medicare from attempts to dismantle it and has pledged to support reforms that will strengthen and preserve the program for future generations. In 2011, Claire:
- Opposed the GOP’s plan to end Medicare in 2011, and then when they tried again in 2012; and,
- Empowered the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to increase their ability to fight fraud – reducing the amount of money wasted on fraudulent claims and increasing the amount of money available to seniors for medical care.
Working to balance the budget while protecting Social Security
Claire believes the promises we made to our senior citizens through programs like Social Security and Medicare must be honored, but Claire also understands the importance of balancing our budget. That's why she:
- Helped write a constitutional amendment that would require the federal government to balance its budget every year, while protecting Social Security by preventing politicians from raiding the program or cutting benefits.
Saving more than 111,000 Missouri seniors money on prescription drugs
Claire voted in favor of legislation in 2009 that closed the Medicare Part D “donut hole,” which:
- Put an average of $627 back in the pocket of 111,815 Missouri seniors on Medicare that would have otherwise gone to prescription drugs; and,
- Saved Missouri seniors a total of $47 million on their prescription drugs in 2011.