Sign Up for Issue Updates
Fighting for the women of Missouri
Providing more than 430,000 Missouri women with free preventative screenings
Claire voted in favor of a 2009 bill that:
- Provided 431,945 Missouri women with free mammograms, bone density scans, and cervical cancer screenings with no co-pay.
Fighting efforts to defund Planned Parenthood
When Republican lawmakers attempted to cut women’s health services by defunding Planned Parenthood, Claire:
- Fought to preserve funding for Planned Parenthood; and,
- Helped Planned Parenthood continue to provide services for women all across the country, including life-saving breast and cervical cancer screenings.
Guaranteeing access to free contraception for women
In 2009, Claire voted in favor of legislation that forced health insurance companies to:
- Provide cost-free contraception to female enrollees; and,
- When the rule implementing the law was out of balance, Claire helped convince the Obama Administration to alter its contraception provision so that it respected religious freedom but still protected women.
Working to renew protections for Missouri women and children
Claire knows first hand the enormous impact the Violence Against Women Act legislation can have on victims of abuse. Claire was serving as Jackson County Prosecutor when the original Violence Against Women Act was signed into law in 1992. Using funds allocated by the bill, she was able to establish a Domestic Violence Unit to assist in the prosecution of abusers and provide counsel for victims of abuse. In the Senate, Clare:
- Supported reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, landmark legislation that continues protection for women, children, and families who are the victims of domestic abuse.